[CUBE] G5 Upgrades In G4 Macs WILL NEVER HAPPEN

Mon Jul 28 19:41:46 PDT 2003

On Monday, Jul 28, 2003, at 10:19 US/Pacific, Kunga wrote:

> I apologize for sounding too harsh Laurie. I did go over the top -
> what else is new?
>
> Michael, it is technically not possible. It's not about the market.
> It's about engineering. G5 processors will never work with G4
> motherboards. It is technically impossible for that to happen. This
> subject has been covered in technical journals already. I can't site a
> link. But I read in one of the engineering sites that it is physically
> not a match. I believe it has something to do with bus incompatibility
> among other things.
>
> The bottom line is it can't be done.
>
> kunga10 (AIM)
> kunga47 (Yahoo Messenger with Cross-Platform dial-up Video sans audio)

Such big sayings from someone who doesn't design boards themselves.

People like you used to say the same thing about upgrades for 7200s,
TAMs, and Performa 6400s.

I know that if there is a profit to be made by making G5 upgrades for
MaxBus systems, someone will design a way to do it. Probably a crazy
bridge board or something will get it to work.

And, you do not realize that this is not the only G5 processor on the
board. There are so many versions of G3, G4, P3, P4, Athelon, etc.
Who's to say a future G5 will not meet the requirements of the MaxBus?

I'm always so underwhelmed by your overexcited statements. So
presumptuous, and so error ridden. Ugh.