[CUBE] [OT] Collectable computers (was: Would you believe 8 fans?!)

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Sun Jun 8 15:50:34 PDT 2003

More SGI/Sun/UNIX lovers on the Cube list? Coolness! :-)

On 2003-06-08 19:25, James Rice wrote:

> Alan Thompson wrote:
>
>> do i see an indy?  :)
>>
>> oh yeah.
>
> An Indy R4400SC-175, [...]

Got you beat on the SGI's:

1 Indigo2 R4400SC200-Elan
1 Indy R4600PC133-XL8
1 Indy R4400SC200-XZ
1 Indy R5000SC180-XGE24
1 Indigo R4400SC150-XZ

Still searching for a deskside Onyx to fit my price range... Oh, and one of
those nifty Visual Workstations. I mean, if you gotta run Windows, might as
well do it in style, no?

:-)

> 2 Sparc 5-110's. an IPC, an IPX, [...]

Looks like I got you beat in the Sun department, too:

2 Sparc5 110's
1 Sparc4
1 SparcClassic
12 IPC's (pays to stay in touch with your university's sysadmins after
graduation. They're gonna make a nice cluster someday.)

A company in our building just filed for bankruptcy, I happen to know they
have two big iron Suns in the server room. But I doubt I'll be able to get
at them. Too damn expensive.

> a NeXTstation Turbo Color, a NeXT Turbo Dimension Cube, a NeXT Dimension Cube,
> [...]

Damn. I hate you. ;-)

NeXT's are hard to come by in Europe. Let me rephrase that: NeXT's are NeXT
to impossible to come by in Europe. Damn shame. And shipping on a Cube is
enough to make buying one from the US a costly option, too. Damn.

> a BeBox dual 133, [...]

Yep, it's official. I really, truly, deeply hate you.

> 2 Canon object.station 41's, 3 Daystar Genesis, 1 Daystar Millennium, 2
> Supermac S900DP's, 2 Supermac C5400's, 1 C600, 1 J700, 1 PTP, [...]

Never cared much for Mac clones. Never owned one. Although one of those
4-CPU thingies would be nice.

>1 Commodore 128D,

I loved those. Had a 128 back when it was the newest thing. Now I have
three of them... And a stack of 64's. I should stop buying them, but I can
never resist picking one (or two) up from street sales. At 2.50 euros a
piece, who could?

> 1 Starmax, 1 APS MPower, 20-30 Mac's (I've lost count) [...]

47 and counting. :-)

> about 2 dozen PC's ranging from an IBM PC (64k cassette port version) to a
> dual Athelon MP 2800+

Hm, some old WYSE 286 that used to run Xenix in my dad's practice (he's a
doctor), an IBM PS/2 Model 55SX, and some old 486 clone I talked my mum into
buying in 1991-1992... I'm pretty much stuck with VPC for my PC duties.

Then there's the Ataris, the Amigas, the MSX's, the Sinclair's, ...

Everything's stored in boxes in the attic right now, because I'm renovating
the house (Gigabit Ethernet in the bathroom is a basic necessity, IMHO).
Once I get everything set up and running again, I'll think of putting up
some photo's on my site. Could be a while, though; doing everything myself
and working some 50 hours a week doesn't make for a speedy renovation. :-P

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Real programmers always mix up Halloween
and Christmas, because Oct 31 == Dec 25