[CUBE] [OT] Collectable computers (was: Would you believe 8 fans?!)

James Rice daystar-genesis at charter.net
Sun Jun 8 16:30:09 PDT 2003

Joost van de Griek wrote:

>More SGI/Sun/UNIX lovers on the Cube list? Coolness! :-)
>
>Got you beat on the SGI's:
>
>1 Indigo2 R4400SC200-Elan
>1 Indy R4600PC133-XL8
>1 Indy R4400SC200-XZ
>1 Indy R5000SC180-XGE24
>1 Indigo R4400SC150-XZ

You do have me beat on the Sgi's.  I want an Indigo2 and an Octane.  I
know where I can get several Iris's and a couple of Crimson's in very
good condition.  I haven't made it over there yet.

>>Looks like I got you beat in the Sun department, too:
>>
>>2 Sparc5 110's
>>1 Sparc4
>>1 SparcClassic
>>12 IPC's (pays to stay in touch with your university's sysadmins after
>>graduation. They're gonna make a nice cluster someday.)
>>
>>A company in our building just filed for bankruptcy, I happen to know they
>>have two big iron Suns in the server room. But I doubt I'll be able to get
>>at them. Too damn expensive.

I had a lot more Sun's but I sold them on ebay. I find Sun SS2, SS4,
SS5, SS10's around here all of the time as well as the IPC/IPX lunch
boxes, but I've decided to limit my collection a little.  I would like
to have an Ultra.

>Damn. I hate you. ;-)
>
>NeXT's are hard to come by in Europe. Let me rephrase that: NeXT's are NeXT
>to impossible to come by in Europe. Damn shame. And shipping on a Cube is
>enough to make buying one from the US a costly option, too. Damn.

I shipped a NeXT cube to Warsaw in January.  I had bought 5 the past two
years and cherry picked the best of everything, then sold the rest on
ebay.  It sold for $250USD  and shipping ran $165USD.

>>2 Canon object.station 41's, 3 Daystar Genesis, 1 Daystar Millennium, 2
>>Supermac S900DP's, 2 Supermac C5400's, 1 C600, 1 J700, 1 PTP, [...]
>>

>Never cared much for Mac clones. Never owned one. Although one of those
>4-CPU thingies would be nice.

The object.stations are nice fast 486  pizza boxes designed to run NS
3.3.  The Genesis boxes are two quad PPC133's and one quad  PPC200.
Photoshop still seems faster on them that the G4-800.  The Millennium
has it's original G3-325 card installed.

>I loved those. Had a 128 back when it was the newest thing. Now I have
>three of them... And a stack of 64's. I should stop buying them, but I can
>never resist picking one (or two) up from street sales. At 2.50 euros a
>piece, who could?

64's are cheap here too, but 128D's are far and few between.  My father
still uses his 64 in a daily basis.  I've given him a Mac and a PC and
he still uses his 64.  He sayes he loses stuff on the other, so he keeps
on plugging along.  He will be 78 this year.  I keep the 128 around to
run CP/M.  I loved Wordstar on a Kaypro when I was in college.  Brings
back old memories.  My first computer was a Reliance Electric UDAC
process controller that ran CP/M.  When the plant was off line, I would
boot it up and run Wordstar to write papers at work in my spare time.
Thing had 8" floppies.  When it was taken off-line and surplused, I had
left the company.  It ended up getting dumpstered.  Made me sick.  It
had 640 points of analog and digital I/O.  Original cost was almost half
a mil.

>>1 Starmax, 1 APS MPower, 20-30 Mac's (I've lost count) [...]
>>

>47 and counting. :-)

I sold and gave away a lot of my Mac's, all of my Apple II's, all of my
Amiga's, all of the  Sinclairs, all of my TI's, most of my Atari's (kept
a couple of game consoles) and most of my Tandy's recently.  Too much to
keep, so I decided to let someone else have some toys.

>Hm, some old WYSE 286 that used to run Xenix in my dad's practice (he's a
>doctor), an IBM PS/2 Model 55SX, and some old 486 clone I talked my mum into
>buying in 1991-1992... I'm pretty much stuck with VPC for my PC duties.

Don't have any PS2's.  Just the one  IMB PC 5150.  It was given to me by
an 80 year old doctor who retired.  He bought it new in 1981 but was
scared to use it.  It spent the next 21 years under a vinyl cover.  It
is in pristine condition.  Not even the power supply fan was dusty.

>Then there's the Ataris, the Amigas, the MSX's, the Sinclair's, ...
>
>Everything's stored in boxes in the attic right now, because I'm renovating
>the house (Gigabit Ethernet in the bathroom is a basic necessity, IMHO).
>Once I get everything set up and running again, I'll think of putting up
>some photo's on my site. Could be a while, though; doing everything myself
>and working some 50 hours a week doesn't make for a speedy renovation. :-P
>
>,xtG
>.tsooJ

I have a couple of Xenix and SCO servers from medical practices too.  I
work for a company that sells and supports medical practice mgt software
and electronic claims filing software, so we are always getting older
stuff in returns.  My AutoCAD workstation is a Dell Dimension PPro 200
that was thrown out by a clinic.  My last upgrade for AutoCAD when I was
a contractor was Release 12, so it performs great.  Still have my
plotter and digitizer too.

My house is almost new and we pulled over 4000' of Cat5e when we built
it.  Between that and 802.11g, we are networked to the hilt.  However,
we are on a massave campaign of painting, wall paper, installing
cabinets, replacing floors and remodeling.  My SO has become a HGTV junkie.

James

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jrice54/classiccomp2.html