[CUBE] Jaguar, what's next?

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Wed Jun 18 09:16:37 PDT 2003

On 2003-06-18 17:19, John Guy wrote:

> On 18/6/03 3:00 pm, "Joost van de Griek" <joost at jvdg.net> wrote:
>
>> Panther will probably offer a better Bluetooth implementation. With a USB
>> Bluetooth dongle, Cube users will benefit from this in the same way as any
>> other Mac/Bluetooth user.
>
> Dongles at the ready?
> ;-)

The D-Link one offered on Apple's web site works perfectly. So do several
others (which are identical inside), but Apple doesn't want you to know
that. Search the archives of the Bluetooth list for more info.

>>> We are a dedicated and semi-elitist community, why not we have the prettiest
>>> computer yet designed, but could Panther spell the demise at a s/w level of
>>> the cube?
>>
>> Not likely. In fact, I think there is still a lot of room for improvement in
>> OS X, as far as code optimisation goes. So it seems likely that Panther will
>> run faster still than Jaguar.
>
> Code optimisation, hmmm one thing that seems to be an all too common issue
> with my implementation of Jaguar, is that after 3-6 months of use the disk
> file system degrades into a real heap on the floor and causes major disk
> errors.

Code optimisation has bugger-all to do with disk fragmentation. Sorry, disk
fragmentation is here to stay. Although making sure you have sufficient free
disk space helps. And using disk images (or separate partitions) for
disk-intensive scratch space.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Dead end
You are at a dead end of a dirt road.  The road goes to the east.
>take shovel
Taken.
>eat shovel
You forcefully shove a shovel down your throat, and start choking.

You are dead.
You have scored 0 out of a possible 90 points.
--
Joost van de Griek
<http://www.jvdg.net/>