[CUBE] Can't start Cube!

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Jun 29 07:31:35 PDT 2003

     Rick Rodman wrote:

>No, but you may have dislodged a cable while the core was out - most=20
>likely the ATA cable.  Pull the core and inspect all the cable ends=20
>verrrrry carrrrrefully.
>
>On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 02:36 PM, Gnarlodious wrote:
>
>  > Suddenly I can't boot my Cube. I rotated the 3 memory cards, could that
>  > cause it?
>  > Can't even get Firewire Disk Mode. I hear the Hard Disk start to spin
>  > but nothing else.
>  >
>>  Sound familiar?
>>
>  > -- Rachel
>
>  > http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Entities/Computer/Cube/Cube.html

     Well, actually, yes, if the Cube works anything like several
desktop G3's and G4's in which I've used precisely that method to
detect bad DIMM's. The memory check on boot is nowhere near
exhaustive, and you can book OK in low memory (perhaps one DIMM)
while having bad memory at higher addresses (second or third DIMM)
and never know it --- or only know it when you run an unusually
memory-hungry app. (All this despite the DIMM reporting that it's
there, so your System Profiler reports it's there.)

     So it could be a cable, and it could be a DIMM. You'll need to
rotate the DIMM's again (at most twice) to find out if the Cube will
boot with a different DIMM in the lowest memory slot. Off the top of
my head, I can't remember whether that's the right- or left-most DIMM
slot.

						Joe Gurman

--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA