[CUBE] Huge hard drive!

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Wed Mar 5 01:09:54 PST 2003

On 2003-03-04 18:07, "J.C. Webber III" <jcw at kingoblio.com> wrote:

> No, it's got to be later than that.  I've got a G3 iMac that I purchased
> new just a few years ago (4?) and it can not address partitions larger
> than 8Gig, so I had to chop my 20Gig drive up into 3 partitions.

That's impossible. Any iMac should handle any drive it can take as one
single partition just fine.

There are hardly limits on partition size on any of today's available
harddrives, since HFS+ (Mac OS Extended format) can handle a maximum of 21
volumes at a maximum size of 2 TB (2048 GB) per volume.

The problem you're describing is the one where certain older Macs (beige
G3's, Wallstreet/PDQ PowerBooks and Rev A, B, C & D iMacs) cannot boot into
Mac OS X when the system installation is not on a partition < 8 GB at the
start of the drive. This isn't an issue with Classic Mac OS, BTW.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
 /~\   The ASCII Ribbon Campaign: