[CUBE] Huge hard drive!

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Wed Mar 5 19:15:44 PST 2003

Joost van de Griek wrote:
> On 2003-03-04 18:07, "J.C. Webber III" <jcw at kingoblio.com> wrote:
>
> > No, it's got to be later than that.  I've got a G3 iMac that I purchased
> > new just a few years ago (4?) and it can not address partitions larger
> > than 8Gig, so I had to chop my 20Gig drive up into 3 partitions.
>
> That's impossible. Any iMac should handle any drive it can take as one
> single partition just fine.
>
> There are hardly limits on partition size on any of today's available
> harddrives, since HFS+ (Mac OS Extended format) can handle a maximum of 21
> volumes at a maximum size of 2 TB (2048 GB) per volume.
>
> The problem you're describing is the one where certain older Macs (beige
> G3's, Wallstreet/PDQ PowerBooks and Rev A, B, C & D iMacs) cannot boot into
> Mac OS X when the system installation is not on a partition < 8 GB at the
> start of the drive. This isn't an issue with Classic Mac OS, BTW.

I'm confused (or you are).  First you say that *any* iMac can handle
any drive, then you go on to say that Revs A,B,C&D iMacs cannot boot
OSX when the system is on a partition larger than 8G.  Exactly the
situation I originally described.

The only additional data you may have provided is that I don't have
to chop up the rest of the drive into <8Gig partitions.  So, I guess
I could have left the rest of the disk as one 12Gig partition?

BTW, if any of your assumtions about the configurability of this
drive assumes OS9, faggetabotit.  I no longer install OS9 on
any of my machines.

--
J.C. Webber III
jcw at kingoblio.com (home) www.kingoblio.com