powerlogix-europe.com

John Allan jallan at freeuk.com
Thu Mar 6 07:22:49 PST 2003

> Import duties vary according the classification of the product and (I
> believe) you have to have a license to do it, so it's quite easy to see how
> a $100 product can turn into a =A3200 product when you're only dealing with a
> few hundred units. It's also worth stating that a privately shipped "gift"
> comes with no warranty either.

Not true.

I have had no problems with both Sonnet and OWC and warranty returns.

A dollar to the pound is a 55% increase VAT and cost are what 20% a most ...

Did you see that I could literally fly to America myself to pick one up for
the same price !?!?!

Let's face it the UK is SmallTown for Apple and all the Mac manufacturers
and historically we have always been ripped off.

The way the manufacturers and distributors look at it we are blinded by love
and stupid enough to pay over the price for our PCs, so why should not they
join in ... [ as there is no profit in Wintel PC parts ]. It is a Cartel.

It is *WORSE* if you have a tech problem and buy from a UK supplier because

a] you have to ship it to them and they have to ship it to the US who then
ship it to them who ship it to you. 3 4 weeks minimum.

b] tech support is the UK is crap, no one knows anything. Monkeys in casges
employed by call centres. At least folk like OWC and SmallDog know and love
what they do and understand what " Customer Service " means.

I been through this too many times with too many companies.

Don¹t know about the rest of Europe but UK Mac users are being shafted.

John