[CUBE] OT : When is 1.5 not enough?

Brooks Graham brooksgraham at mac.com
Mon Mar 10 12:40:58 PST 2003

Are you looking at the Resident Size (RSIZE), Resident Private Size
(RPRVT), or the Virtual Size (VSIZE) column?

The Resident Size is the total amount of memory allocated for both code
and data along with resident shared libraries for that single process.
A shared library is only resident in memory once, although many
processes will link to it and add it's size to it's own in the RSIZE
column.  As the man page states: "real pages that this process
currently has associated with it.  Some may be shared by other
processes"

The Virtual Size includes lots of other items along with the shared
libraries (resident or not) that the process linked with and if you add
up all the VSIZEs it should (probably) way exceed your physical memory.
  Look at the VSIZE of the kernel process.  Mine shows a VSIZE of 519
MB! (RSIZE=84MB)

Resident Private (RPRVT) is the column you really want to look at for
the memory consumption of any process (other than the kernel, which is
a special case)  That's just the resident code and data pages and gives
a better indication of memory consumption.

HTH

-brooks