[CUBE] 100% Load Wouldn't Go Away

Brian Kurotsuchi cube at big-endian.org
Sun Mar 16 00:15:06 PST 2003

It's difficult to know just from your symptoms, unless it's a "known problem".

Normally a reliable way to determine the cause is to run "top" or the "Process
Viewer".  It will should you if you a particular process is a runaway and
taking the majoority of the processor time.  After you figure out what's doing
it, you can kill that process, and possibly restart it if needed.

If killing and restarting sounds too scary, at least you will know it was
"inetd" or whatever which is causing the problem.

The top that comes with OS-X seems to need these flags to sort by CPU time,
run it in a Terminal:

% top -u -s5

If your system has glacial performnace, it's sometimes nice to have sshd
running so you can log in remotely and fix the problem.  Remember - just
because the user interface is having problems, doesn't mean that the OS is
having problems.

Brian

Quoting Thubten Kunga (Kunga at FutureMedia.org):