[CUBE] PowerLogix 1.2, bad news

Hal kastegir at mac.com
Sun Mar 16 12:26:22 PST 2003

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 10:20 AM, Jean-Pierre Nouet wrote:

> Le dimanche, 16 mars 2003, à 18:47 Europe/Paris, Hal a écrit :
>
>> You mean you are running a radeon card without a fan on it?
>
> Yes
>
> I had a ventilated Radeon card, but the ventilator made more and
> more noise. The salesman took it to put another ventilator, but it fell
> apart in the Cube. Not enough space for the air intake.
>
> I exchanged the Radeon card with a friend and  it has turned
> without problem for 3 months. It already  turned the last year, before
> the
> summer.

Well, I think that this is part of your problem. The Radeon without the
fan is not designed for use in the Cube. They get too hot, and with
very little airflow in that space, there is no place for the heat to
go. That alone can cause your Cube to overheat.

My guess is that your Radeon is overheating, causing other problems as
well. Probably the combination of the additional heat from the PL
upgrade and the already-hot Radeon pushed your Cube over the edge. Have
you tried replacing the Radeon with the original Rage128 card to see if
it is stable?

Just my $0.02.

-Hal