ADSL modems/routers et al

Christopher Hack cjhack at onetel.net.uk
Sun Mar 16 13:03:02 PST 2003

>  Certain DSL/cable router vendors will provide decent Mac support
> (e.g. Mac executables for firmware updates), and some won't.
> Virtually all current products are manageable (even for firmware
> updates) via a Web interface, so the OS question is nearly moot. For
> instance, Asant=E9's FR3004 series uses the same circuitry as slightly
> less expensive Linksys and other products, but has clearly better QA
> and, in the year plus that I've had one, no problems working with a
> Motorola SURFboard cable modem and various flavors of OS 9 and OS X.
> The simple fact is that, with an inexpensive cable/DSL router, you
> don't have to care about what's upstream (cable, DSL flavo[u]r, &c.).
>
> Joe Gurman

Joe et al,

I take your point that routers don't need elaborate manuals and OS software.
That is now that I know how they work. When it first came out of the box I
had no idea how it worked, and was rather dazed and confused. The
manufacturer (D-Link) provided an idiot's guide for Windows users. (draw
whatever mac-iste conclusions you want) I would have appreciated at least
some basic information given that it had lots of smiley "mac-compatible"
logos outside.
Thanks all for comments. sorry if this was a bit off-list.

chris