[CUBE] help...

john guy john.guy at btclick.com
Sat Mar 22 07:53:47 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 12:24 PM, Joost van de Griek wrote:

> Okay, here's what you want to do:
>
> First, make a backup copy of your Microsoft User Data folder. I know
> it's
> unusable as is, but if anything else goes wrong, you might be in even
> more
> trouble.

Did that...
> Then, start Entourage, as suggested, with the Option key held down.
> There
> will be a dialog, asking if you want to rebuild your Entourage data.
> Choose
> a standard rebuild, first. If after that Entourage comes up with your
> email
> and other data, fine. Throw away the backup copy you made, and make a
> new
> one. Make a copy every week, after all, you indicated that some of the
> data
> is business-critical...

'Tis always done that is not the issue the issue is that because the
defaults for the partition are corrupt when you relaunch entourage it
thinks it is starting for the first time does not find the previous MUD
folder and identities etc

BUT the most frustrating thing is that the old stuff is still there but
I have not got a *&^%$ing clue how to point to the old ID etc rather
than the new one, tried moving the files etc but that just says the the
files are not linked to that identity etc
> If the standard rebuild doesn't work, once again start Entourage with
> Option
> depressed. This time, choose to do an advanced rebuild. This is more
> likely
> to solve problems, but it will also discard some data, such as
> categories
> assigned to your data. If this works, again throw away the backup copy
> you
> made, make a fresh backup copy, and take it upon yourself to make a
> copy
> every week, after all, you indicated that some of the data is
> business-critical...
Tried both rebuilds and all they do is look at the default id not
anything other, unless there is a another key combination  that allows
you to specify one... any MS gurus out there?

> If that doesn't work, either, it's time for drastic measures. Before
> you do
> so, be sure that you definitely have made a backup copy of your
> Entourage
> data. You have? Good. Now, open the file "Database", which is located
> in
> ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office X Identities/Main Identity,
> with a
> text editor, like for instance BBEdit. Scroll through the file, and
> copy all
> of the emails you can find, and deem important enough to save, from
> this
> file. There'll be lots of crap in between the useful data, but if you
> really
> want it back, this is the last resort at getting at it.

Read you other mail first and decided to not risk it...
Please anyone else?

Just so you have an idea of scale of files etc here
messages 625.5 MB Database 2.6 MB

John Guy