[CUBE] Entourage & e-mail back-ups

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Mon Mar 24 07:43:44 PST 2003

On 2003-03-24 16:12, Rod Clifford wrote:

> Regarding mail back-ups (apple mail now) what is the most effective way to
> back up you mail? If you simply copy Users/Library/Mail into another folder,
> how can you access it if needed? Along this same line, backing up the
> attachments folder as well, how can you keep the old mail syc'd with its
> respective attachments? The info about 2gig limit for Entourage is
> interesting...   Thanks, Rod

There are numerous AppleScripts available that will archive Entourage
messages in a myriad of ways, but I find that the following works best for
me:

At the beginning of each new year, I copy my current identity folder, and
name the copy after the year that has just passed.

Then when I open Entourage, I delete all mail that is in the database, and
do a rebuild (removes empty space from the database). Now, when I need a
mail from, say, 2001, I choose Entourage -> Switch Identity, and select the
identity named 2001. This way, I can keep all the attachments for all email
intact, and I can also use all of Entourage's search features to find the
email I need.

,xtG
.tsooJ
                                        <o))><