[CUBE] Entourage & e-mail back-ups

Alan Thompson athomp2 at mac.com
Mon Mar 24 09:23:54 PST 2003

this question also depends on where your mail is actually stored.  i
run my own (imap) server (not this email user/addr).

on this server, which is a netbsd box, i have a mail spool file and my
IMAP folders.  i back these up with a cron job, and worry not about my
local files on the client.  client could be anywhere, or anything.

with Mail (.app), it keeps everything cached in ~/Library/Mail - it
then has folders for each identity, or account, and the actual email is
labeled Inbox (accountname).mbox - so they're using the mbox format,
which is very simple - flat text.  move these somewhere else, burn
them, whatever, and that will back them up just fine.