[CUBE] New HD

Meirion Roscoe roscoe at macunlimited.net
Tue Mar 25 02:57:48 PST 2003

The IBM (now morphed with Hitachi Global Storage Technologies)  180 GXP
is a marginally faster drive.  It is an ATA 6 as opposed to ATA 100
drive (WD).  However, the cube will not see all the 180 GB.  I think it
will max out at  approx 130GB (Can't remember the actual figure)  so
it's a waste of money really.  The 120GB GXP is an ATA100 drive and
looks very marginally faster (0.1ms seek time !!)then the Western
Digital.  Below are the tech spec links so you can decide for yourself.
  For my 2 pence worth - rhe western digital 120 is quiet and quick so I
am a happy camper.

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/desk/ds180gxp.htm

http://www.westerndigital.com/products/Products.asp?DriveID=38

Cheers