[CUBE] Cube Fire

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Wed Mar 26 08:41:19 PST 2003

> So after that long and most likely boring story, here's my question:
> Have any other listers have had/heard of such a problem? Does anyone
> know of any course of action against Apple to get them to pay for my
> costs? This Cube has worked perfect since it was new. I used a number
> of Displays with the Cube before this 17 inch LCD. I used a Apple 17
> inch CRT ADC for a few months and most recently I was using a KDS
> Rad-5 15 inch LCD VGA with no problems. The 17 inch LCD Apple Display
> is compatible with the Cube right?
>
> And finally, under what circumstances is it acceptable that a computer
> catches on fire?

Hey David,

Sorry to her about your experience. It seems that DC-DC board is the
weakest link in Cube design. We are constantly pushing the poor sucker
with all the hard drive/processor/fan/etc upgrades, and each of them
puts more load on the DC card. By now you probably heard about DC cards
bursting in flames with 1 GHz upgrades that overloaded them. Now I am
not sure if the ADC monitor is powered through the DC-DC card also, but
if it is, that might explain it. I don;t think that there is anything
wrong with monitor or your graphic card - it is just that connecting
ADC monitor overloaded the DC card for some reason. Of course, there
are a lot of cube users running ADC displays/processor upgrades and
such without problems but I guess you never know.
This made me step back and reconsider the purchase of a new LCD for my
cube at least not until i find a source for a spare DC board in case
something goes wrong.
I believe that your Cube is out of warranty by now, and if the monitor
is fine, and it is, Apple will charge for it. Supposedly both
Powerlogix and Sonnet are coming out with some kind of a solution for
our burning DC-DC boards, and hopefully one of them will offer a
complete drop in replacement for a decent price.