Lightning! Now "no dial tone" message

Michael Blossom blossom at megsinet.net
Thu May 1 16:22:57 PDT 2003

I'm sure some of you on this list know about telecom, so maybe someone can help.

Big storm last night.  Lightning struck nearby, I think across the street, as my girlfriend and I were watching TV.  We saw a spark somewhere inside, but weren't sure where it came from, and all devices went off, then back on two seconds later.  All devices had power through surge suppressors, and all devices seem to work fine today, except now I have communication problems:

* The Cube's modem won't detect a dial tone no matter what I do.
* Tivo's modem can dial out, but it never hangs up, unless I disconnect it.  When I reconnect it, it opens up the line again without making a call.

My DSL is working fine, and I can make and receive voice calls without a problem, and the line sounds clear.

Does anyone have a clue how to troubleshoot this?

- Mike