[CUBE] itunes 4-Where to now?

mentholiptus mentholiptus at mac.com
Thu May 1 16:23:58 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 03:25  PM, macjedi at mac.com wrote:

> Hardcore audiophiles will argue that CD quality doesn't match up to
> vinyl or
> reel-to-reel tapes, either.

Yeah, it's all BS. There was a guy in my audio classes (a real
"know-it-all") who claimed he could tell a 256k mp3 from a CD, so I
encoded some red hot chili peppers, and some rage against the machine,
and he was wrong half the time. It was all just guessing. So then he
claims it's because the speakers we were testing on were shitty ($800
studio monitors!).

192k AAC is the sweet spot. 192k AAC is about equal to a 320k mp3.
Anyone who "thinks" they can tell the difference between a 320k mp3 and
a 192k AAC will probably also tell you they can feel the difference
between CL3 and CL2 PC-100 RAM.

So back to the analog nuts...sure, they think because the sound wave is
continuous it's better, but they fail to note that the db levels are
lower, and the dynamic range is about 20Hz-16kHz, as opposed to a CD's
20Hz-20kHz...nevermind the crackling, hiss, decay, wear and tear, and
generation loss and associated with the medium.

People will never be happy. Maybe they should use a cassette walkman
for a year, then come back to the table and see what they think of this
substandard AAC.

jesse

.