[CUBE] itunes 4-Where to now?

Benjamin Ing vbing at mac.com
Thu May 1 14:33:27 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 09:22 AM, Sean Terrill wrote:

> No compressed
> format will ever truly have CD quality either, so hardcore audiophiles
> will
> probably continue to buy CDs until the technology catches up to their
> expectations.

This is an interesting point, since most audiophiles prefer analog
(vinyl) to any digital format - mainly because of the compromises in
the original standardization to 44.1kHz.
In the past few years, high end audio has tried to market to
audiophiles with higher sample rate digital recordings (especially now
that the DVD gives much more data space) with extremely limited success.

I am someone with very good ears, and yes, I can hear the difference
between MP3's/AAC/CD's/Analog/Vinyl. Still, the limitation to me is the
portability and convenience of the medium - for the most part, the
differences can only be heard on high resolution systems in high
resolution environments. Add in the fact that (as your statement has
shown), we are now dealing with a generation that is conditioned to the
artifacts not only inherent in digital recordings, but now with MP3
compression and the question about the acceptability of the sonic
quality vs the portability of the format becomes a major one. In the
end, the explosion of the music industry in the last few years as a
result of MP3's as opposed to higher quality audio is probably an
strong indication that portability and/or cost is a much bigger factor
than audio quality.

My view on itunes-4 and the Apple Music Store has gone from the initial
excitement about the ease of purchasing online music and the higher
(than MP3) quality of the digital audio, to one about practicality. At
home, I have a TIVO Home Network which allows streaming of my iTunes
library through my 2  TIVOs (they are hooked up to my Home Theater
setups). Unfortunately, they still only support MP3, so to have access
to my iTunes library, I need to have my music server running MP3's.
Still, I was thinking of using one Mac to serve the TIVOs with MP3,
while running AAC on my iBook that I usually attach my iPod to. Then, I
realized that I occasionally dump my music to an SD card to have music
available on my Palm Tungsten|T, meaning that I would also want MP3 on
my iBook. The final nail in the coffin is that I am one of those guys
that continually reconfigures his computers, often moving data between
the different computers and reformatting my drives to get the cleanest
operation possible on each machine. I am not sure how that is going to
affect my ability to actually retain the original AAC files when I am
having to continually put it onto a freshly installed drive.

Now, I realize that I am not the typical music purchaser, but being a
tech-head, I would think that I would be a prime market for this type
of effort. Perhaps I have too much technology that I am trying to
integrate, but I simply want my music to be omnipresent in my life and
not have to worry about mistakenly erasing my only copy of music files
that I have purchased. For now, the whole concept of on-line music
still doesn't make sense to me and I will continue to purchase CD's.