[CUBE] Noise level of 3 Hard Drives Compared - Maxtor rules!

Sensei (Eliezer Navarsky) sapir131 at zahav.net.il
Wed May 7 23:48:42 PDT 2003

On Monday, Sun, 04 May 2003 14:06:08 -0700, Tom Kuhn
<tkyoyos at pacbell.net>  wrote:

> My cube came with a 20 GB Maxtor. It was totally silent. Replaced it
> with a
> Seagate Barracuda and it has an annoyingly loud hum that I have
> begrudgingly
> accepted. If I tilt the cube back at 45 degree angle and lean it on
> the wall
> (to get it off the desk) then it the hum is mitigated. Next I for a
> backup
> drive, I bought an external Western Digital 120 GB which was quieter
> than
> the Seagate, but still somewhat noisy.  My newest acquisition is a 250
> GB
> MAXTOR which is also virtually silent. Amazing! End of story.

Two little questions...

1) Have you made sure to transfer the plastic guide that was screwed to
the original disk?!...

2) Have you made sure that it isn't some sort of resonance problem with
your table?!... Perhaps placing the Cube on an old neoprene (the thick
- about 5 mm - rubbery type) mouse pad will solve your noise problems...

One major question...

I thought the Cube was limited to "seeing" disks up to 128Gb... What OS
are you using and does the Cube actually "see" all of the disk?!...