[CUBE] Printer woes

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat May 10 08:26:47 PDT 2003

     Chris Hack posted the original plea in this thread:

>I bought a trusty HP4 laserjet from ebay.

     Rod Clifford reported his satisfaction with an HP 5MP, and Erik
Ness, with a 4M, under OS X.

     The critical difference is the "M" in the printer model names ---
they paid extra for Mac (OS 9 and earlier) support, and those are the
only (lower cost) HP printers whose network interfaces include
AppleTalk support and whose engines include PostScript. (So do the
more expensive ones, such as the 8100DN and the 9000dn.) If the Print
Center doesn't auto-recognize your type of printer, odds are Steve
Goldstein's suggestion of GIMP should work (but I haven't tried it),
since it should be able to speak directly to the PCL (PC-ish Printer
Control Language) engine in you LaserJet 4.

     If your LaserJet includes PostScript support (I believe it will
have a "P" in its name), you should be able to set it up in Print
Center under OS X as an "lpr" (IP) printer. The queue to which you
want to send PostScript output is usually called "raw" on most HP
JetPrint network interface cards. To do this under OS X, launch the
Applications/Utilities/Print Center app, select "IP Printing" from
the pull-down menu, uncheck "Use default queue on printer," and enter
"raw" (without the quotes) in the "Queue name" field. Under "Printer
Model," pull down to "HP."

     The reason you're getting garbage, I believe, is that your system
is attempting to send PostScript to a PCL queue. In summary, if the
printer has PostScript support, try "IP printing;" if not, try GIMP.

     HTH,

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA