[CUBE] Best bang for the buck CPU

Tom Hostler hostler at mac.com
Wed May 14 07:59:11 PDT 2003

> Dual 800 Mhz? Singe 1.2 Ghz?

I guess it kind of depends on what you want to do with your cube.

A faster single processor upgrade will have a snappier finder, and long
processing tasks will be shorter. Duals will be more beneficial in
multi-tasking - such as iMovie/iDVD work perhaps.

I have a single Sonnet 1.2 and in comparison to the stock 450, the
day-to-day experience is much snappier, and Photoshop work is now a pleasure
in X.

However moving iMovie/iDVD, and you still find yourself waiting whilst it
pre-renders/encodes actions your experimenting with. Granted your not
waiting as long as before, but they grab & hog the processor and as a result
it feels slow.

I've not used a dual, but with multi-processor aware apps, and an
multi-threaded finder, I would imagine you can check your mail whilst iMovie
does a render more comfortably than I can.

Perhaps someone with a dual upgrade can add their 2 cents to this opinion.

Tom