[CUBE] 1gig G3 in Cube?

Nicolas ndk at nbnet.nb.ca
Fri May 30 04:43:06 PDT 2003

Jeff, thanks for the reply.
IMHO, they can hire all the PR firms they want. After what they put me
through, I'd *NEVER* deal with them again, I don't care what amazing
products thay have in the pipeline. What I paid for I didn't get, a dual
800 G4 and all we're getting is "developement is under way and we'll
have it shipping in 4-6 weeks". Sad part is, many on this list and other
Cube forums actually believe this horsehockey and eat up everything
Robert feeds them. They will _never_ produce a dualie for the Cube, I'm
sure of it. They're just so full of it, it wreaks all the way to Canada.
My Cube was gone for 4 months. They plunked a 450 MHz processor in it to
send it back. They also sent it with a 16 MB ATI card and I had bought a
Radeon which had fried during the upgrade.
  They could have had the decency to install a faster processor and if
they had any heart at all, they would have offered a processor for free
or at least with a hefty discount for all my trouble. I mentionned this
to Robert and was refused. They could have also sent me a video card a
heck of a lot faster than what they did (Robert sent me one recently,
after 7 (!) months of  my originally purchasing the upgrade). I sent
them a list of vendors and they never moved a finger. "You'll be _soon_
getting a video card, equivalent or faster than the Radeon". God they
are so full of it.
To add insult to injury, they lied to me (intentionally or
unintentionally) by telling me that the clear case of my Cube broke
during transport. They had me scrambling to try to find another one and
when they returned it to me, my Cube had the same case that it did when
I sent it in (I know, I had carved my initials on the bottom of the
case). This was a great distraction strategy from their part, they were
probably buying for time.
I have had to threaten them with legal action *every* step of the way in
order to get what was destroyed during the upgrade. Plus, I have had to
put up with Robert's snide remarks and sarcasm which was apparent
through his emails.
In conclusion, a word to the wise: Buyer BEWARE.
As for Waypoint, I dealt with John Highhouse, a wonderful fellow, that
managed to get me a rebate from OWC. But Owen was a tremendous pain in
the rear. I would recommend Waypoint but don't deal with Owen.
So in order to tally up my losses during this fiasco:

1. Computer gone for 4 months.
2. Duty on the dual 800 for which I'll probably never be refunded  (200 US).
3. Interest I paid on my credit card without having the product in hand
(20 US in the course of the 4 months).
4. Got a computer back with an inferior Video card and processor.
5. Aggravation for having to beg for what was mine.
6. Dealing with the arrogance of Robert J.
7. My Cube was hastily put together with many screws missing inside.

What they should have done to keep me happy:

Sent me a tower temporarily, because they were aware that the Cube was
my main computer at home. When they did send me back my Cube, they
should have offered me a discount or even offer an upgrade for free. I
mean, common, how many people had their Cubes fried? 5? 10? This would
have saved them a lot of bad PR and would have prevented me and others
from being bitter and posting to appropriate boards. Not lie to their
customers, like they did with me about the broken clear case in order to
buy time.
When they did finally send me back my Cube, they should have put in a
faster CPU than the OEM 500 MHz. Instead, I got a slower one. They
should have sent me a faster video card, equivalent to my Radeon a long
time ago instead of making me beg and threaten them before they actually
got off their laurels and did something about it.
In conclusion, a dual CPU for the Cube will never materialize. It's
vaporware, no matter what Robert says. Powerlogix is rotten to the core
and hiring the best PR companies will not change this fact. They lie,
cheat and don't give a damn about their customers. They're simply in it
for the money.

Nicolas