[CUBE] Cheap Pcs vs Apple lol

Nicolas ndk at nbnet.nb.ca
Thu Nov 13 15:40:35 PST 2003

Snow White wrote:

> No one out there wants to compete with a $400 piece of crap constructed
> in some dealers basement with dubious warrantees and no Ram whatsoever.
> Hell, even Gateway is advertising plasma tvs instead of computers now.

Hmm, I built my own for 400$ and I can assure you it's not a piece o'
crap, but if you're a mac zealot, I guess I'm waisting electrons;)

> A Mac at $799 is about as low as it needs to be.  There is reason (no
> benefit) to compete for clients that will not spend anything more than
> the barest, lowest amount neccesary - they are not loyal to anything but
> their wallet.

When one has kids, a mortgage to pay, utilities..etc, one becomes loyal
to their wallet, trust me.
And people look at performance. The eMac is older technology, dog slow
FSB, very little RAM and a CRT, when most people prefer an LCD.

  It would be a shame to degrade a Mac to meet this cheap a
> demand and it would certainly harm the rest of the lines pricing.  Apple
> does not sell junk - and that is one of the reasons they are succesful
> and we continue to buy at a premium (but is it a premium or is the IBM
> clone market just overly underpriced?).

Most of the components found in Macs are the same as in PC's. Granted,
Macs have better power supplies, but essentially, the same parts are to
be found on both platforms.

Nicolas