[CUBE] Cheap Pcs vs Apple lol

Rick Rodman richard.rodman at verizon.net
Thu Nov 13 19:33:51 PST 2003

I built a PC a couple of months ago with 2.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM, Nvidia
5200, CD-RW, used an existing hard drive, and it cost about $700 total.
  I don't see how anyone could build a PC for $400 that would be more
than a very basic machine.

Right now I think the $699 Dells and Gateways are loss leaders, that
is, they will try to upsell anyone ordering those boxes.  Prices on PCs
will likely go up after the first of the year.  This is a good time to
buy one if you want one.

Another difference between PCs and Macs is cable management.  Homebuilt
PCs have a spaghetti of ribbon cables inside.  Dells are better these
days, though.