[CUBE] LCD monitor

Leo Baghdassarian lb at leoport.com
Sun Nov 23 11:35:42 PST 2003

> What is native resolution? I'm not sure. My budget is about $400.

Native resolution is setting the OS to display the same resolutions as the
actual pixels on your monitor.  For example, pretty much all 17" through 19"
LCDs have a 1280x1024 resolution (pixel count).  This literally means there
are 1280 columns of pixels and 1024 rows of pixels.  Now, by setting your
system to display 1280x1024 (via the 'displays' panel in system
preferences), you are projecting a display that is 1:1 ration.  Meaning, you
are fitting a 1280x1024 picture into a 1280x1024 space (nice crisp fit).

However, if you set your system to a 1024x768 display, then you would be
fitting a 1024x768 picture in a 1280x1024 space... Which would end up
stretching the picture to fit - and that would make everything look a little
bit soft (kind of a blurred look).

I hope I did an adequate job of explaining this.  You will probably get a
better idea by actually messing around with a display at a CompUSA or Apple
Store.

Leo.