[CUBE] Freezing Cube DVD player.

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Sun Oct 12 02:36:55 PDT 2003

Hello Ricardo,

> Has anyone found their Cube DVD player hesitating for a fraction of a
> second
> randomly a few times throughout a DVD movie?  What about a total crash
> of

Yes, and this is normal. Most DVD discs are 'dual-layered', so that
they contain twice the data (have you ever asked youself why the DVD-R
media holds less data than the read only? :) During the duration of the
movie, the laser reader needs to switch to a 'second layer' to continue
reading DVD data, and at that point you have this small hiccup. This
happens also with conventional DVD players.

> the movie playback with an error message saying "could not read disk:
> possible cause, disk may be damaged", or words to that effect?  The
> first

Don't know about this becuase it never happened to me. Actually it did,
once. I skipped the troublesome section. It was a rental DVD in pretty
bad shape so I didn't worry about it too much - it was probably a
genuine read error.
However there have been discussions about this problem on this list,
and people claim that it can happen with new DVD media, and that
sometimes the version of the DVD player matters. If I remember
correctly, someone even noticed that it happens in OS X but not in OS 9
(or vice versa).
Sorry, can't offer more help :-/