Freezing Cube DVD player.

RICARDO ricardo at carrasconexion.net
Sat Oct 11 19:52:12 PDT 2003

Fellow cubists:
Has anyone found their Cube DVD player hesitating for a fraction of a second
randomly a few times throughout a DVD movie?  What about a total crash of
the movie playback with an error message saying "could not read disk:
possible cause, disk may be damaged", or words to that effect?  The first
problem has occurred since day one, and never bothered me much since the
fraction of a second freeze is just that: a fraction of a second freeze, no
big deal.  The second problem has occurred a couple of times over the last
four or five movie playbacks, on recent-release movies, and this does bother
me big time, since I am unable to finish watching the movie.  The first time
this happened I assumed I got a damaged DVD disk, and ditto for the second
time.  But I'm now suspicious about this rare frequency of damaged DVDs from
the store, and am hoping it's just coincidence and not due to any
malfunction with my Cube DVD drive.

I'm running a 450 MHz Cube, with 100 MHz bus, 1536 MB of RAM, a
CD-ROM/DVD-ROM SR-8186 MATSHITA drive, on OS X 10.2.8.

Penny for any thoughts out there in Cubeland.