[CUBE] Panther + G4 upgrades

Rick Rodman richard.rodman at verizon.net
Tue Oct 14 11:36:29 PDT 2003

The "processor upgrades" Apple is referring to is cards such as G3
cards for older Macs, e.g. the G3 upgrade I had in my 8500.  Such cards
change the processor type of the machine.  The reason for not
supporting them is that they don't want to write "enablers" for old
hardware (the rest of the computer).  When we put a faster G4 in our
Cubes, we have not really changed the processor - it's just a faster
G4.  Now if you found someone making a 970 board for the Cube (however
that might or might not work), THAT would not be supported.

This language "processor upgrade cards are not supported" has been in
every release of Mac OS since 10.0, and maybe earlier ones.  The 8500 I
spoke of with the G3 card ran Mac OS 9 beautifully, but even if I'd
been able to push the RAM up to 128MB, it wouldn't have run 10.0.
Folks who have beige G3's have been able to run all the releases up to
Jaguar, provided they can get enough RAM, but are being dropped with
Panther - even tho some of these folks (and some blue&white owners)
have been able to replace their ZIF CPU with a G4.  The blue & whites
will still work, but the beiges won't.

There will come a day someday when the Cube won't run the latest
version, but it's probably still a few years away.