Sonnet Cube Install kit with VRM board Cancelled

Don Linares don.linares at verizon.net
Mon Oct 27 11:23:23 PST 2003

Sonnet Cube Install kit with VRM board Cancelled - After waiting so
many months after the announcement I suspected this would happen, but
it's apparently official now. Got this from a friend.

"After an extensive development effort, Sonnet no longer plans to
introduce an Encore/ST Cube installation kit that includes a new VRM
module for the Cube. Even though the replacement VRM provided more
power to the processor card, other Cube electrical component became
overstressed. As a result, Sonnet will not support the Cube with
current versions of Encore/ST 1.0 GHz and 1.4GHz processor cards.

While Sonnet regrets the cancellation of this solution, we want to
assure our customers that a thorough research and design project was
completed before this decision was reached. Our conclusion is that a
100% safe VRM replacement cannot be offered for an acceptable price.

Sonnet continues to offer both high-performance and economical upgrade
options for Cube owners. The Encore/ST G4 800 MHz and 1.2 GHz upgrades
use processors that do not overtax the Cube's power design, and these
are both fully supported in conjunction with the Sonnet Cube
Installation Kit P/N SGC-KIT and professional installation. Both are
fully compatible with the Cube, as well as all software and system
versions through OS X 10.3.

Sonnet is hopeful that future lower-power processor designs may enable
faster Cube solutions, and we will certainly pursue such solutions
should they make sense for our customers."

I'll bet you'll see  7457 CPU based G4 upgrades for the Cube real soon
now ... positive they're coming from another source. I hope to have one
to test within days.