[CUBE] Panther

Todd Masco cube-list-local at babayaga.org
Fri Oct 31 09:36:31 PST 2003

Bill wrote:
> Don't attach a FireWire 800 drive to it. The drive needs an update of
> its firmware to beyond v1.02 and will need to be attached to a Mac not
> running Panther to do so. If you have no FW800 drives, no problems.

Um, that's not what the word on the street is.  Besides the MacFixIt
reference I posted before, there have been reports on Macintouch,
MacSlash, and this morning a Wired article about FW400 drives dying,
too:

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,61031,00.html

I'm certainly going to hold off putting panther on any of my desktop
systems until this shakes out.  I'm running it on my laptop (17" PB)
where I test new software... it's nice, but not compelling enough to
risk losing all of my data.

	-- Todd