[CUBE] New laptops, keyboard, mouse

Tom Hostler hostler at mac.com
Wed Sep 17 04:29:00 PDT 2003

Sorry, I wasn't exactly clear - it was supposed to be from a Cube owners
perspective - as this is a Cube list! The absolute numbers calculation is
correct though - and I stand corrected - so not arguing there!

Most important for us Cubeowners I guess is the loss of the "easily
accessible" USB ports for camera leads, USB drives etc - plus we already
lose one for USB audio, and need to add a Bluetooth dongle for them. Unless
you have an ADC display that gives you some extras you're needing a external
Hub. And we haven't even mentioned printers, scanners etc!

Perhaps the best of both worlds is a wired keyboard but have the wireless
mouse?

Plus they're white, which looks very dirty very quickly. I was at Apple Expo
yesterday, and by the end of the day the keyboards & mice were covered in
dirty fingerprints after just one day of use. IMHO the white peripherals
don't match the Aluminium G5/Powerbook Pro look and the G5 line looks very
disjointed - Aluminium G5, White (iBook like peripherals) and Lucite Cinema
displays that harp back to Quicksilver G4 days. All in all a visual mess
IMHO.

It was funny watching the Apple reps keep track of the wireless mice as the
public picked them up & passed them around - a few anxious faces if they
"strayed" too far from home!!