[CUBE] Help save a cube.... could it be a prototype?

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Apr 4 09:22:23 PDT 2004

     John Murray wrote:

>Here is the System Profiler info:
>

>   Machine Model:	Power Mac G4 Cube
>   CPU Type:	PowerPC G4  (11.2)
>   Number Of CPUs:	1
>   CPU Speed:	450 MHz
>   L2 Cache (per CPU):	1 MB
>   Memory:	512 MB
>   Bus Speed:	100 MHz
>   Boot ROM Version:	3.32f1
>   Serial Number:	XA02301RJRZ
>   Sales Order Number:	W0126W/A
>
>All right you bright cubers -- what do the serial and
>sales order numbers tell us...

     Don't know about sales orders, but serial numbers at most
manufacturers parse like this:

XB = factory (in this case, Sacramento CA)
0 = year number (i.e., 2000)
30 = week of year (sounds like the end of August)
01 = day of week (maybe)
RJRZ = unique ID

     For comparison, my first-generation MDD G4 has a serial number
that begins, "XB23403," so it, too was built in Sacramento, in week
34 of 2002.

     For a list of recent Apple factory codes, see:

	http://macfaq.org/hardware/misc.shtml .

     FWIW,

						Joe Gurman

--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA