[CUBE] Internal DVD recorder

Benjamin Ing vbing at mac.com
Thu Apr 8 11:34:12 PDT 2004

On Apr 8, 2004, at 9:02 AM, Leo Baghdassarian wrote:

> Even though these
> drives are the same drives Apple uses in their notebooks (powermacs),
> these
> OEM drives do not have APPLE firmware installed.

I don't believe that there is special Apple firmware on these drives.
The problem with putting them into a Cube is that OS-X installation
doesn't put the proper drivers that will work with the firmware in the
Cube. There are hacked versions of the driver that do allow the use of
this drive in Cubes, but they are closely guarded because Apple doesn't
want to do the testing and support necessary to put a DVD-R drive in an
obsolete machine.