[CUBE] Internal DVD recorder

Benjamin Ing vbing at mac.com
Thu Apr 8 12:29:26 PDT 2004

On Apr 8, 2004, at 11:40 AM, Leo B. wrote:

> Believe me, the firmware
> on the official drives from apple is different than the firmware that
> is on
> the OEM or PC-based drives.

Well, believe me, I purchased an after-market DVD-R player and put it
into a B&W G3. I didn't have to change a thing - it showed up with the
same firmware version and looked exactly the same as the "special Apple
firmware" drive that Apple puts into computers.

The problem is in the Cube firmware and it's interaction with the
driver frameworks that Apple provides. I know about Patchburn and what
it does is patch the driver, not the firmware on the drive.

If you want to find out more about this stuff, check the best source
for the info, the Firmware Page at http://forum.rpc1.org/ rather than
relying on second hand information.