[CUBE] Cube upgrades vs. new Powermac

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Tue Apr 20 00:43:56 PDT 2004

> I started thinking the unthinkable. I might sell my cube. I'm itching
> for expandability (more hard drive space and less external devices).

Infidel!!!!! :))

> But I'm still thinking in the corner of my mind about upgrading my
> stock 500Mhz cube. I really can't afford a DP G5 right now, so I was
> looking at the DP 1.25 G4 towers. I'm sure my cube would feel like a
> new machine with a 1.2  upgrade, new hard drive, and maxed out RAM.
>
> But is it worth it?

I'll say right away that you are the only one who's able to answer that
question. I can only offer my point of view.
I think what matters most is what are you using your Cube for. Mine is
currently used for usual home stuff, and even 450 MHz seems enough for
that task. I might upgrade soon just because the upgrades have become
really cheap. If you are using it do to some processing intensive work,
I would think twice before turning the Cube into a ungodly creature
with all kind of hot-rod accessories attached to it in a borg like
fashion ;)
Anyway, if you absolutely need expandability to do some real work, I'd
get that G4 tower (I think they are cheapish now), but I would
definitely keep the Cube, but that's just me.

> Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm always willing to look at the
> cheaper route and/or the most bang for my buck.

It sure is weird to hear this from a Cube owner ;)