[CUBE] WEB Hosting through an Airport Extreme

Luis Meleiro luis_meleiro at cilsp.com
Wed Apr 21 09:26:46 PDT 2004

Bob,

I might not have well understood your question but... I think you're saying you can't access your website while doing it through the machine that's hosting it... the CUBE itself. Isn't it so?

Well... I experienced (and still) this problem with a dinamic IP (and not a static one as yours). So the solution (for me) was to configure it using this service:

< http://www.dyndns.org/ >

Actually, I'm still not able to access my website when typing the domain address I chose from dyndns: http://xxxx.ath.cx/~user/
But, if I replace it by the airport's range IP number: http://10.0.1.2/~user/ it shows up just perfect.

I'll try to find the link/URL describing this kind of *glitch* when using an AirPort configuration while hosting a website and post it later here if you want.

Once again, sorry if I somewhow messed things up and I'm not even achieving your issue. My intention was always to help and not to confuse.

LM

>>> robert.w.bumala at lmco.com - 2004/04/21 16:05 PM >>>
Hi All,
  We just got DSL service in our area, and we now have a reasonably fast Ethernet connection with a static IP address.  I'm trying to set up my cube to host a web site.  So...  I set the cube to a static local IP address of 10.0.1.201, enabled web sharing, and installed the web site.  I checked it out by browsing 10.0.1.201, and the page displays just fine.  I set up the airport extreme for port mapping sending port 80 to local IP 10.0.1.201 port 80.  I also set the advanced settings to make 201 the default host.  I got nothing.  When I browse my static Ip address (207.213.217.244), it just times out.
  So, I hooked up the network directly to my Ibook, and browsed my static IP address, and it works just fine.  So now I'm out of ideas.  I checked the httpd logs and I noticed that I get traffic from all of the usual data miners (looking for robots.txt), and some I think trying to plant worms, but I can't seem to get through.
  I set the airport to send it's syslog to the cube, but it doesn't seem to make it.  Do I have to change some settings on the cube to accept it?  Where would the airport syslog show up?  Anybody have any ideas I could try?

Thanks,
Bob.