[CUBE] Cube + Apple 20" LCD?

Chris Weiss cweiss at casadelove.com
Wed Aug 4 16:58:57 PDT 2004

TonVanHest wrote:

> Op 4-aug-04 om 22:32 heeft Mark Webster het volgende geschreven:
>
>> I always read that the Cube speakers only work when plugged into one
>> of the USB ports on the underside of the Cube itself, a complete pain
>> actually. They certainly don't work when plugged into a powered hub
>> or a keyboard.

Historically, the USB power provided from Mac keyboards is not enough to
run much other than a mouse and is not recommended for doing much else.

> My speakers are plugged in a USB hub and are connected to a Cube and
> PC at the same time (the hub has a switch) and works perfect in both
> systems.
>
> All USB devices work perfectly thru a hub, rhough some need a powered
> hub because they consume too much power.

I beg to differ on that. My experience with USB devices and hubs has
been that reliability can vary widely depending on the pieces involved.
My iMic USB speaker adapter does not work when plugged into my D-Link
DUB-H4, but works fine when plugged directly into the Mac (regardless of
whether the hub is in powered mode).

For the record, which brand of hub are you using? I'd be willing to
migrate if it means moving my iMic off the desktop, even if it's to some
expensive multi-system switch.