[CUBE] Cube + Apple 20" LCD?

TonVanHest a.vanhest at chello.nl
Thu Aug 5 00:44:34 PDT 2004

Op 5-aug-04 om 1:58 heeft Chris Weiss het volgende geschreven:

>> Op 4-aug-04 om 22:32 heeft Mark Webster het volgende geschreven:
>>
>>> I always read that the Cube speakers only work when plugged into one
>>> of the USB ports on the underside of the Cube itself, a complete
>>> pain actually. They certainly don't work when plugged into a powered
>>> hub or a keyboard.
>>

> Historically, the USB power provided from Mac keyboards is not enough
> to run much other than a mouse and is not recommended for doing much
> else.

The USB power is part of the standard, so if your Apple does not
deliver enouh thru the keyboard there may be something in error either
with the keyboard or the Mac itself.

I also have a USB camera and a USB scanner (powered thru USB). The
camera works flawless thru (e.g.) the keyboard, the scanner not. The
latter has to beconnected either directly to the Mac or thru an
external powered USB hub.

>> My speakers are plugged in a USB hub and are connected to a Cube and
>> PC at the same time (the hub has a switch) and works perfect in both
>> systems.
>>
>> All USB devices work perfectly thru a hub, rhough some need a powered
>> hub because they consume too much power.
>
> I beg to differ on that. My experience with USB devices and hubs has
> been that reliability can vary widely depending on the pieces
> involved. My iMic USB speaker adapter does not work when plugged into
> my D-Link DUB-H4, but works fine when plugged directly into the Mac
> (regardless of whether the hub is in powered mode).
>
> For the record, which brand of hub are you using? I'd be willing to
> migrate if it means moving my iMic off the desktop, even if it's to
> some expensive multi-system switch.

I use a Sitecom (I know, lot of people start screaming when they hear
the word) KVM switch, costing about 50 euro. It is powered, has 1
outgoing VGA connector and 2 incoming VGA, 2 outgoing USB and 3 USB + 4
USB 2.0 incoming.

There is simultaneously connected a Windows XP and Cube. On the othere
side, there is a (Nac) keyboard and the Cube (original) speakers and a
Canon scanner. A camera (Fuji) is connected if need to.

On top (of the KVM, really very small) there is button to select the
system (I do not like keyboardswitching) and LED's indicating connected
system.

On my iMac there is also a (regular) USB hub. This is used to connect 2
printers (one of which is again connected to the XP using parallel
port) and this also works flawlessly.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Ton van Hest