[CUBE] [CUBE]

Eagle eagle243 at mac.com
Fri Aug 6 04:42:15 PDT 2004

On Aug 5, 2004, at 19:07, atoa at krak.net wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, TonVanHest wrote:
>> Op 6-aug-04 om 0:15 heeft atoa at krak.net het volgende geschreven:
>>> The Apple USB (Universal Serial Bus) Speakers included with the
>>> Power Mac G4 Cube computer require more power to operate than is
>>> provided by a typical USB port.
>>> You say that is untrue. That's another word for lie.
>>
>> My speakers work when plugged into a Cube, they work when plugged in
>> a (powered) hub, they even work when plugged into a PC.
>
> And I never said they wouldn't.
> But others have had "varying mileage".

You guys act as if there's something nefarious going on, and it's
probably not that at all.  Consider that the typical Apple user
probably uses Apple products "because they just work."  He expects them
to "just work" -- and to "just work" as advertised.  Apple can
guarantee that their products "just work" -- but only if you only use
Apple products.

That Cube speakers work on other USB hubs is not surprising to me, but
the "YMMV" ("mine worked on XYZ USB hub." ... "well, mine didn't work
on that hub.") aspect of it is probably why Apple recommends only
plugging them into the Cube or an Apple-supplied monitor with built-in
USB hub.  Apple recommends this because those configurations "just
work" -- while others might not.

Ditto for all other Apple-supplied hardware, be it an 802.11 base
station, DVD-R burner, or whatever.

Eagle