[CUBE] [CUBE]

atoa at krak.net atoa at krak.net
Fri Aug 6 05:51:09 PDT 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, TonVanHest wrote:

> Op 6-aug-04 om 13:42 heeft Eagle het volgende geschreven:
>
>> You guys act as if there's something nefarious going on, and it's probably
>> not that at all.  Consider that the typical Apple user probably uses Apple
>> products "because they just work."  He expects them to "just work" -- and
>> to "just work" as advertised.  Apple can guarantee that their products
>> "just work" -- but only if you only use Apple products.
>>
>> That Cube speakers work on other USB hubs is not surprising to me, but the
>> "YMMV" ("mine worked on XYZ USB hub." ... "well, mine didn't work on that
>> hub.") aspect of it is probably why Apple recommends only plugging them
>> into the Cube or an Apple-supplied monitor with built-in USB hub.  Apple
>> recommends this because those configurations "just work" -- while others
>> might not.
>>
>> Ditto for all other Apple-supplied hardware, be it an 802.11 base station,
>> DVD-R burner, or whatever.
>
> Oke, but the point is that (according to standards) any USB device is
> supposed to use more than 500 ma. If it exceeds that value that it must have
> its own powersupply.

I presume you meant NOT supposed to use more than 500 ma (not milliwatts,
as previously stated).

I'm no electrical engineer, but if what you say is true, then the Cube,
and several of Apple's monitors, are out of spec for USB hubs. You imply
below that they could damage USB devices. (I'm taking Apple at its word that
those ports have enhanced power.)

This I seriously doubt.

> The standards sya that a bus (the outlet from the system) should produce
> 500ma.
>
> The standard also says that USB maybe cascaded (i.e. hubbed) and here all
> devices after the hub should (totalled) not use more than 500ma. That means
> that if there are devices connected to a hub which total more than 500 ma
> (and have no own powersupply) then the hub should be powered.
>
> If you go to 'this mac', you will see that both busses prodice just this 500
> ma. They are _not_ allowed to produce  _more_ than that, since there might be
> chances of frying connected devices.
>
> All this ends up to the fact that the speakers cannot and are not allowed to
> eat up more than this 500ma. Meaning they can be connected to any USB outlet
> that has this 500mw available!

Sure they can. If they do, though, they are out of spec, as I understand
it. Which means that they shouldn't be marketed as being within spec.
None of which troubles me, given that the Cube speakers, as far as I know,
were never sold separately.