[CUBE] Fill my house with good music...

Chris Weiss cweiss at casadelove.com
Sat Aug 7 23:52:28 PDT 2004

Mark Plunkett wrote:

> Sorry Guys I guess I just don't keep up with things. Thanks in advance
> for the help.
>

> O.K. so I need Airport express...
>
> Plus and Airport Card for my cube.
>
> Plus an Airport card for my iBook 500G3
>
> Plus an airport card for my kids iMacDV 400G3 (runs OS9 though). How
> do I max the RAM on this girl?
>
> Sounds Great. What model Airport Cards do I need?
>
> Should I call OWC?
>
> Mark

Actually, all you really _need_ to listen to music anywhere is the
wireless card in whatever machine you want to control iTunes with and
the Airport Express near the stereo you want to pipe the music to.
That said, an iBook without wifi is rather like a Sundae without
chocolate - you're missing the best part of a laptop!

You'll want the older Airport card for the Cube (not Airport Extreme).
OWC had a batch on discount a few months ago for $60 or so each. No idea
if they still have them. They're pretty hard to find these days.

Unfortunately, my personal experience with the Cube and Airport Express
hasn't been that good. I've got two Airport Expresses at opposite ends
of the house and the Cube almost in the middle. Even though the Cube
reports full signal strength, I still get audio dropouts on both units.
They're much worse in the living room next to the big stereo & TV setup
(lots of electronics) as opposed to the bedroom, which only has a small
stereo. In all other aspects, the Airport Express rocks. Setup was a
breeze and all of my wifi devices work well moving between the two units.