Fwd: [CUBE] Size of FireWire disks?

macubelist at bridgehead.de macubelist at bridgehead.de
Mon Feb 2 01:02:39 PST 2004

the max size internally is 128 GB. formatted. so if you put in a 160 GB
disk, it'll format to 128 GB. the rest is inaccessible.
(if you put in a 128 GB disks (as they are sold in the store) they will
format to about 111,8 GB. thats the difference between 1 GB = 1000 MB
(used by the manufacturers) and 1 GB = 1024 MB (which is what your
filesystem uses)).

the external size is only limited by the chipset thats used in the
interface. the firewire chipsets (namely the "oxford" ones) can usually
access capacities larger than whats as drives on the market today.
(very good cases done by www.macpower.com.tw and virtually found
everywhere).

now, with la cie, thats different. they use a couple of disks, chained
together as a simple raid-system and offer that as "one drive" to your
machine. the cube - and any other firewire capable mac - will happily
access and utilise those. there, the translation between the cube and
the harddrives is done by the raid-chipset, and it has very little to
do with firewire (except from the fact that thats the connection they
chose). so the size of the disks is of no importance (when adressing
them).

go ahead. buy one of the la cies and tell us how you like 'em. (or at
least, please, tell me.) wait a week before giving us the report,
though. otherwise it'll all be "great, superduper, fast, the best, the
greatest, blablabla" which is not really helpful.

have a nice day.

wolf