[CUBE] GeForce3 dying - options? - follow-up

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Sun Feb 1 11:13:35 PST 2004

> Since there were no replies, I went ahead and did some stuff. Results
> inserted.

I'll add some more...

>> The fan on my GeForce3 runs only intermittently, with consequent quick
>> over-heating. While I consider my replacement options, which of the
>> following is possible or advisable?.

You can always try to replace the fan on the GF3. Unfortunately, they
are bound to fail after a certain time :(

>> 1) Stick in a Twinview from a G4 tower- the archives seem to indicate
>> that this is ok, despite the smaller heatsinks. Downside is that the
>> G4
>> will be out of service.
>
> This works, though the bracket won't fit without more modification
> than I
> want to do.

I found the easiest way to find an affordable Cube compatible card is
to keep an eye on your friends who own a Quicksilver or a similar
desktop, becuase they often upgrade their original cards and do not
consider them gold-plated like ebay sellers (or buyers?) do.
I got the Radeon 7500 for $40 from a Quicksilver user, and I will get
another nvidia 2MX for free. Radeon 7500 is not a perfect fit, I have
removed the bracket completely to allow for more airflow. Works fine
for months now.
The 2MX is a drop-in replacement, fits perfectly.

>> 2) Run the Cube without the enclosure, and see if the temperature
>> stays
>> lower. I know that the SS says one shouldn't, and I know that some
>> enclosures are designed to facilitate cooling. Is that the case with
>> the
>> Cube?
>
> Cube ran fine without the enclosure. Card overheated quickly anyway,
> even
> with an external fan pointed at it.

That is stange, but maybe the heat sink is not making a good contact
with the GPU...

>> 3) Run the Cube headless, with the GF3 (and AGP riser?) removed, and
>> either ssh in (remote access enabled) or, optimally, use VNC or ARD
>> (both
>> are installed).
>
> Removed GF3 and riser. Boots fine, ssh works. I'm presently trying to
> get
> VNC or ARD to work. I'm not sure what is needed- the old methods of
> attaching a KVM or converter obviously aren't available.

Strange for someone who wanted a GF3 card to consider this solution :)
Anyway, this will not be a solution for me, because my Cube is strictly
a desktop machine, and the above is far from elegant :))