Memory question

gooddog at interlync.com gooddog at interlync.com
Sat Feb 7 02:45:12 PST 2004

On Feb 7, 2004, at 2:07 AM, James Norman wrote:

> For most office type applications Virtual PC is quite suitable, it's
> with games, in particular, that emulation programs really struggle. I'm
> trying to think what specific writing program you intend to use which
> (1) requires Windoze, and (2) can't already have a better option on the
> Mac.

Storyview, a great program from what used to be Screenplay Systems, now
Write Bros.  It's an outlining/organizational story timeline tool. I
haven't seen anything like it anywhere, and when they come out with a
Mac version, I get a free copy. It's specifically designed to be a
story writing program. I'm not describing it very well, so go here, if
you want, to have a look-see

http://screenplay.com/products/storyview/index.html

I talked with the developer/programmer/creator, and he's a mac guy, but
they made a business decision to port to the Windoze community first. A
very nice guy, and I feel confident Storyview will eventually be on OS
X. They're redesigning their marketing and approach to be more of a
Suite, like Adobe. I questioned him pretty severely about why they
offer everything else of theirs for the Mac, albeit Classic, and not
this. If you'd like more detail, write me off list and I'll be happy to
fill you in.

> Go with the processor upgrade, the new PowerLogix 1.4 seems the best
> option at the moment, though I'm very happy with my Sonnet 1.2 (at
> least I'm happy on my second one, I followed Sonnet's instructions the
> first time and left the foil in place between the aluminium and copper
> heat sinks.  Ended up with a fried CPU, even with the fan (highly
> recommend the Panaflo fan kit that comes with the Sonnet); second time
> I just used a smear of thermal transfer paste.

Why the fan? Is that necessary?  I was leaning toward the Sonnet 1.4
for price reasons.  Isn't the Cubes design enough to keep it cool?  I'm
completely ignorant in this regard, so I'm quite willing to be pasted.

I've also heard that you need to have a Techician put in the Processor
Upgrade, that it needs to be done in what's called a Clean Lab or
Environment. What's that all about? Is that true?

> Again, the 120Gb drive is a worthwhile investment, I have kept the 20Gb
> drive and put it in an external Firewire enclosure.

Great idea. Where does one get an external Firewire enclosure?

> > What I can't figure out just yet is if I can get by with removing the
> > 32 mb memory and putting in a 512 mb next to the two 128s, bringing
> my
> > memory to 800 mb.  This would seem, along with the processor upgrade
> > and hard drive, to make the operation of the Virtual PC snappy and
> > crisp. Is 800 mb enough for what I'm trying to do?
>
> Definitely ditch the 32Mb stick, 768Mb should be fine. I have 1.5Gb of
> RAM now and I can't say that there was a huge difference in Xbench
> scores between having 2 x 512Mb over 3 x 512Mb RAM, but that's not
> really tested in Xbench in the same way as fooling around with
> PhotoShop rendering.

Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to putting this new
contraption together. It may take me some time to assemble all the
parts due to constrained finances right now, but it shouldn't take too
long.

Mark