[CUBE] Memory question

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Sat Feb 7 10:47:50 PST 2004

gooddog at interlync.com wrote:
> Why the fan? Is that necessary?  I was leaning toward the Sonnet 1.4=20
> for price reasons.  Isn't the Cubes design enough to keep it cool?  I'm=20=
> completely ignorant in this regard, so I'm quite willing to be pasted.

Although the latest cpu upgrades (7457s) run cooler than the older
generation chips, it's still a good idea to help them stay cool
by putting one of those whisper quiet 80MM fans in the bottom
of the cube.  You won't even notice it.  Try holding a lit match
8-12 inches from your mouth and then blow on it, but not hard enough
to make it go out.  That's about how loud these fans are.  Nothing...

> I've also heard that you need to have a Techician put in the Processor=20=
> Upgrade, that it needs to be done in what's called a Clean Lab or=20
> Environment. What's that all about? Is that true?

It's quite a process, and can be a bit intimidating, but with the
assistance of the video (on DVD) that comes with the PowerLogix unit
and some patience, you should be able to accomplish.  I did.

I wish I had the new PowerLogix 7457 1.4Gig, but I jumped earlier
when the older pre-7457(I forget the exact model number) 1.2Gig first
came out, but it boosted the performance so much that I've decided to
hold off on the G5 I had been contemplating.  I Xbenchmark'd at 117.63
(scored a baseline ~46 prior to the upgrades).

Well, enough about me 8^).  Best of luck with your upgrades!

Here's a OWC link that shows several of the available CPUs and the fan:
http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=128&type=Processor&TI=%23TimeFormat%28Now%28%29%2C+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator