[CUBE] Ailing Cube, insights please?

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Mon Feb 16 10:19:23 PST 2004

On 16 Feb 2004, at 16:54, Abigail Kelly wrote:

> My cube sounds as if it has a fan(?) that is
> about to die. It is making a loud but uneven
> whirring noise. Like when you take your foot on
> and off of the gas pedal of a car. It doesn't
> seem to be affecting performance but the part is
> definitely about to quit working.

If you have a Radeon graphics card, it is most probably the fan on the
card. When they fail, and they always do, you get this grinding noise
that changes pitch. Replacement fan is almost impossible to get, but I
replaced mine with a passive heatsink and it was working fine. It is
not a simple task though. If possible run your Cube without the shell,
that will make it easier to determine the source of the noise.
The other possibility is that the hard drive is about to go...