[CUBE] Problems with Processor upgrade

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Fri Feb 27 15:14:48 PST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, martin weiss wrote:

> I  have been having the following difficulties with the processor
> upgrade for my Cube: (PL 7457 1.4 GH)
> 	goes to sleep and won't awaken. Have to restart (power off then on);
> 	periodically I get the following message:
>
> Entering system dump routine. A panic server was not specified in the
> boot args, terminating kernel core dump.
> Ethernet address 00:30:65:e5:8e:8e
> ip address 192.168.1.7
> waiting for remote debugger connection.
>
> This occurs randomly twice to four times a month.

I have the same card, but I have never had the sleep problem.

A couple times while playing games (Halo, Age of Mythology) I have gotten
the dump routine message. I think it is a heat issue, since it doesn't
happen when I sit an additional fan on my cube while gaming.

For the record, in addition to the PL 1.4 GHz card, I have a GeForce2 MX
graphics card (no fan) and a Segate 120 GB 7200 RPM drive.

I unfortunately upgraded the CPU about 1 week after upgrading to panther,
so I have never known which (or both) is the culprit...

Allan