[CUBE] Problems with Processor upgrade

James Norman jimoctec at mac.com
Fri Feb 27 16:16:22 PST 2004

On Saturday, February 28, 2004, at 04:51 AM, martin weiss wrote:

> I  have been having the following difficulties with the processor
> upgrade for my Cube: (PL 7457 1.4 GH)
> 	goes to sleep and won't awaken. Have to restart (power off then on);
> 	periodically I get the following message:
>
> Entering system dump routine. A panic server was not specified in the
> boot args, terminating kernel core dump.
> Ethernet address 00:30:65:e5:8e:8e
> ip address 192.168.1.7
> waiting for remote debugger connection.

Kernel panic is usually hardware related. I had a similar problem when
I upgraded to a Sonnet Encore/ST 1.2GHz card and followed the
instructions to leave the aluminum foil on the CPU heatsink. I ended up
having to have the upgrade card replaced (thank you OWC and Sonnet!)
and installing it without the foil. I scraped the foil and adhesive off
and used a smear of silicone thermal transfer goo between the two
heatsinks.

> This occurs randomly twice to four times a month.
>
> Mac OS 10.3.2; 1.5 GB RAM
> I've run DiskWarrior, Tech Tools4 and Disk Repair and Permissions
> Repair.

As I said, it is hardware related.  In my case it was happening much
more often than your example so I had obviously done more damage to the
upgrade card (sigh!).  Remove the CPU and heatsink combo and get rid of
the foil - worked for me.

I have not had a problem since and the Cube runs 24/7 for weeks at a
time.

Jim